Useful phrases for making and changing appointments.
Asking to meet
"Are you available on the 17th?"
"Can we meet on the 16th?"
"How does the 3rd sound to you?"
"Are you free next week?"
"Would Friday suit you?"
"Is next Tuesday convenient for you?"
"What about sometime next week?"
Agreeing on a date
"Yes, Thursday is fine."
"Thursday suits me."
"Thursday would be perfect."
Suggesting a different date
"I'm afraid I can't on the 3rd. What about the 6th?"
"I'm sorry, I won't be able to make it on Monday. Could we meet on Tuesday instead?"
"Ah, Wednesday is going to be a little difficult. I'd much prefer Friday, if that's alright with you."
"I really don't think I can on the 17th. Can we meet up on the 19th?"
Setting a time
"What sort of time would suit you?"
"Is 3pm a good time for you?"
"If possible, I'd like to meet in the morning."
"How does 2pm sound to you?"
Changing the arrangement
"You know we were going to meet next Friday? Well, I'm very sorry, but something urgent has come up."
"I'm afraid that I'm not going to be able to meet you after all. Can we fix another time?"
"Something has just cropped up and I won't be able to meet you this afternoon. Can we make another time?"
Need to make a business appointment?
Check out these useful ways to make, change or cancel an appointment by email.
Making Appointments Quiz
Choose the correct answer.
- Use either ''Does'' or ''Would''. ''Would'' is good for a hypothetical situation.
- ''How does (something) sound?'' = ''Does (something) sound like a good idea to you or not?''
- We talk about ''time'' and not ''hour''.
- Remember to use a noun or gerund (ing form) after a preposition like ''about''.
- If a date is convenient, it is good for both people.
- Use ''How about'' or ''What about'' to make a suggestion.
- A date can be perfect or convenient.
- If you can't ''make'' an appointment, you can't meet on that date.
- If something ''comes up'' or ''crops up'' it happens unexpectedly (it isn't planned).
- You can ''fix'', ''arrange'', ''do'' or ''make'' another time.
To see more phrases for making dates with friends, check out our exercise!
Generally I don't read article on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to check out and do so! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thanks, quite nice article.
Thank you for your useful phrases
Well done, thanks !
surya dewi (@surya_gaseumapa)
Thank you and it is very helpful.
Adetola Akinola Wahab
Thank you. +1
THANKS IT'S SO HELPFUL
Very usefull phrases, thank you Clare!
I am always practicing my English through it. Its really helping me. Thanks
Thank you a bunch.
very usefull ....thanks a lot
it's a fantastic site for practice of English speaking.
Inge Ingi LBS
Fantastica grazie !
Its really nice, thanks
Very Helpful. Thanks
very very helpful ...thanks
Thanks! Very helpful :)
Very very helpful and thanks
thank you. helpful !
Avish Kumar R
Thank you so much. Very Helpful info.
i hope.. so helpful thanks..
Thank you so much for sharing these valuable expressions! It was really helpful!
Thank you very much realy very useful.
What a helpful notes ! Thanks !
Thank you so much
thank you very much for this useful info
Thank you. really helpful and useful.