Welcome to the lessons for Week 1 of our new free English course!
This week we start right from the beginning so that you can talk about yourself accurately and confidently. In Week 1, there are two grammar pages: "Nationalities and the verb to be"; and "Pronouns and Possessives". Both these pages give you grammar explanations and examples, and then there's a multiple-choice exercise for you to test your understanding. There are answers for the exercises.
There's also a vocabulary page with useful words and phrases to talk about you and your family (also with an exercise); and there's a speaking page with useful phrases to say hello, introduce yourself, and introduce other people.
On the speaking page, you can also practise five conversations to help you improve your fluency and your pronunciation. You will need a microphone so you can record your voice, and speakers (or a headset) so you can hear the conversation.
Here are the links to the four lessons:
- Use the verb "to be" in the present simple and past simple tenses (affirmative, negative and question forms)
- Give your nationality
- Use subject and object pronouns accurately in sentences
- Understand and use possessive adjectives and possessive pronouns
- Talk about your marital status and the people in your family
- Give simple greetings, and make simple introductions
For more phrases on saying hello, see our page on English greetings.
For more vocabulary to talk about your family, see our page Talking about your family.