Talking About Your Hobbies In English
When you want to get to know someone, ask about their hobbies and interests. Talking about hobbies means you can share details about yourself – and discover shared interests and free-time activities.
Here are some phrases you can use:
Questions you can ask
What do you like doing?
What sort of hobbies do you have?
What do you get up to in your free time?
How to reply
In my free time I…
When I have some spare time I…
When I get the time, I…
I relax by watching TV / listening to music, etc.
My hobbies are bird-watching / playing sport, etc.
I'm interested in (+ noun / gerund)
I'm keen on (+ noun / gerund)
I'm into (+ noun / gerund)
I enjoy (+ noun / gerund)
You can add "really" or "quite" after "I'm…" for emphasis.
"I'm really keen on football."
"I'm really into geneaology."
Talking about hobbies in more detail
You can give more information about your hobbies and interests:
"I like arts and crafts. I'm a creative / practical person, and like doing things with my hands."
"I'm an outgoing person, and like socialising / hanging out with friends."
"I enjoy being physically active, and spend a lot of time playing sports and team games."
Saying why you like your hobby
You can also explain why you spend time on your hobby to make the conversation longer and more interesting.
"I really enjoy going to the gym because…"
…it keeps me fit.
…it gets me out of the house, you know!
…it's sociable. I've met lots of new people.
…it gives me something interesting to do with my time.
…it's not very expensive, and anyone can do it!
"My hobbies are all creative…"
… I've always enjoyed painting and drawing.
… Because my job is technical, it's good to spend time doing something completely different.
… I enjoy spending time making things like clothes.
More words that you can use to describe your hobbies:
Like doing vs like to do
We use like + gerund (ing form) to talk about general likes:
I like fishing.
We use like + infinitive to talk about more specific likes:
I like to go fishing at the weekend.
Talking About Hobbies Quiz
Level: Elementary and above
- Spare time = free time. (''In your own time'' means ''no rush to answer the question''.)
- You ''have the time'' or ''get the time'' to do something. (''Make the time'' = find time to do something special or necessary. For example, ''You'll need to make time to study or you might fail the exam.'')
- Remember: ''interested in'' something.
- If you're into something, you really like it. For example, I'm into sports, skiing, running. We usually say this for active hobbies, rather than activities like watching TV.
- A sport can keep you active or fit. (Being athletic = able to run fast.)
- Sociable (pronunciation = soash-a-bul) means a person who likes spending time with friends. Friendly means someone who smiles and is easy to talk to.
- People are usually artistic, while lots of hobbies are creative.
- The noun is ''patience'' and the adjective is ''patient''. (A patient is also someone who is in hospital or who needs to go to the doctor.''
- If something is ''unusual'' it is different from other things.
- If something is fascinating it is very interesting.
I like this lesson
Thank you very much for this article! It is very useful and easy to understand and memorise.
thank you so much! It is awesome!
thank you very much it is very useful
Thank its so good
Thanks, it is useful for me .well done
thank you so much
I'm from andhra. There are so helpful for me.
Simple article but great quality
its very good and please use it people.....
I like this lesson. It is very useful for me. Thanks a lot!
Your writing is so useful and I hope that I could access more such interesting ones like that
Hard to top those tips on ways to talk about hobbies. Eternally thankful.
Very well written.....its quite understandable...thankyou !
I'm very very like it's
Thank you very much :3 ~
thank u so much very useful
Monkey D. Luffy
Thanks..it is very useful for me.. I like it..
Thanks.. it is useful for me and I like it.
thanks i like it
Mamadou Malal Diallo
Very interesting lesson, it truly helps.
Frankly speaking, this is a very usefull lesson..
according to me,this was quite helpful.so,thank-you loads.
Thanks, it's very helpful
Thanks, it's very helpful
Thanks its very usefully lesson
It simply easy to understand
Is veeeery nice
It's very helpful to me. Thank u.
Good job, thanks a lot
It was too easy and I liked these online
best of the best , thanks
Thank you so much!!
thanks it is very interesting lesson
It help to do my homework ! Keep it up !
yes it is really suitable and sufficient
Its really helpful for me.Thank you so much.
Very well explain. Thanks so much
the information is very useful....fancy i like that it is the best , convinient and appropriate information
it s useful and practical.
It's very good
Love it ?? thank you so much
Get a FREE English Short Story!
Like to learn English? Join 19,600+ people who read our newsletter and get more help with:
We won't share your email address and you can unsubscribe any time.