Increase your English Vocabulary
Do you always use the same words? Check out our vocabulary quiz to find the correct intermediate level word for these common English words. Then try using them when you speak or write to take your English up a level!
- ''She's very clever.'' Other words you can use are ''smart'' and ''bright''. For example, ''She's very smart'' or ''She's very bright''.
- ''We discussed many things.'' Remember: you don't need the preposition ''about'' after ''discuss''.
- ''He's quite a cheerful person.'' You could also say ''optimistic''. Be careful: ''smiling'' is part of a verb, as in ''He's always smiling.''
- ''The news made me very sad.'' Another word you can use is ''upset''. ''Nervous'' means worried, or anxious - like you feel before an exam.
- ''It was a very bright day.'' ''Bright'' = lots of sunshine. Remember, ''sunny'' is an adjective, and ''sun'' / ''sunshine'' are nouns.
- ''I went for a stroll in the park.'' A ''stroll'' is when you walk for pleasure. Both ''walk'' and ''stroll'' are nouns and verbs. You can also say ''He walked in the park'' or ''He strolled in the park.'' (Pronunciation: the ''oll'' in ''stroll'' is like the ''ol'' in ''old''.)
- ''My bedroom is always messy.'' Another word you can use is ''disorganised'', although we also use that to talk about people. Remember: dirty = not clean. Another way you can say ''messy'' is ''in a mess''. ''Her bedroom is always in a mess.''
- ''She likes to nap after lunch.'' ''Nap'' = a short sleep, often after lunch or in the afternoon. ''Rest'' = not be active. Both ''sleep'' and ''nap'' are nouns and verbs. ''She had a sleep after lunch.'' ''She had a nap after lunch.''
- ''He's going out with someone new.'' ''Date'' is more American English, while ''go out with'' is more British English. (Hang out with = spend time with friends.)
- ''I like to chill out with friends.'' Be careful with the verb ''enjoy''. You ''enjoy yourself'' or you ''enjoy something''. You can't say ''I like to enjoy with friends''. Instead, ''I like to enjoy myself with friends.''
Very interesting lesson
I always love your exercises.Thank you!
Wow!Fabulous job...Thank you thank you thank you... :-)
Thank you o much...
very nice site for online English learning
Very interesting !:) .it will help me a lot. Thank you
Abdulkadir Abdulweli Hassan
it help full words
very interesting, thank you
It is very helpfull, thanks.
its very useful. excellent job.Thank you..
I love this website, it 's useful to me!
Great! It is helpful. :)
I love these different phrases of English that I am learning. I think you for putting them on online so we can learn free. Thanks again
Good,it's hard for me
Get a FREE English Short Story!
Like to learn English? Join 19,600+ people who read our newsletter and get more help with:
We won't share your email address and you can unsubscribe any time.