Grammar Exercise: Connecting words
Connecting words (or conjunctions) connect words, phrases and clauses.
Take a look at our page on linking words, then try the quiz below!
Level: Pre-intermediate and above
1. I go to the gym to keep fit __ meet my friends.
- ''And'' is the most common way to add information.
2. At the gym I usually either lift weights __ use the treadmill.
- ''Or'' gives an alternative. It's often used with ''either''. For example, ''You can choose either the cake or the ice-cream for dessert.''
3. My doctor told me I needed to lose weight __ I went on a diet.
- ''So'' introduces a result.
4. __ there are no parks near my house, I decided to join the gym.
- We can use ''as'' to give a reason. (We can also use ''since'' or ''because'' to give a reason.) We can either start the sentence with as / since / because or use them in the middle. (''As there are no parks near my house, I...'' or ''I decided to join the gym as there are no parks near my house''.)
5. I like the gym __ the people there are friendly.
- Remember: we use ''because'' to give a reason. (We use ''so'' to give a result.)
6. The gym is cheap __ it's often crowded.
- Use ''but'' when you want to show a contrast. (You can also use ''although'', ''however'' or ''though'' to show contrast. ''But'' is the simplest option!)
7. So I like to go in the morning __ there aren't many people.
- Use ''when'' to refer to a time (''where'' to refer to a place).
8. __ I go three times a week, I can get a discount.
- Use ''if'' to introduce a condition. (Remember: use ''although'' to show contrast.)
9. __ I only go three times a week, some people go five times a week.
- We can also use ''while'' to mean ''although''. But we can't use ''when'' in this way - use ''when'' to refer to time.
10. __ I still eat the same amount, I'm losing weight.
- We can use ''although'' at the beginning of a sentence when there are two clauses. (''Although X, Y.'') But we can't use ''but'' in this way as ''but'' usually joins another clause. (''X, but Y.'')
14 commentsJarne Thoelen
thnx it was nice quiz
Thanks for the quiz
I got new information through this exercise. Thanks Please add more new information regarding email
Brief summary and good excercise
Thanks it was helpful and it could be a little more difficult :)
super easy, not hard
hoped more sentencesnonetheless good exercice
Fantastic!! it is very interesting and helpful. after reading I realize that recently, I inappropriately use the linking world. Thank you a million!!!
perfect exercise !