Everyday English Phrases
Do you know which everyday English phrases to use in common situations? Choose the correct word in the sentences below! These are all examples of common British English expressions.
Level: Elementary and above
1. You don't understand someone. You say: ''I didn't __ what you said.''
- ''I didn't catch what you said'' is a common way to say you don't understand (or you couldn't hear) another person.
2. You want directions to the station. You ask, ''Is this the right __ to the station?''
- To ask for directions you can say ''Is this the right way to...''
3. It's hot in the train and you want to open the window. You ask another passenger if that's OK. You say: ''Do you __ if I open the window?''
- ''Do you mind if I ...'' is a common way to ask for permission to do something.
4. You're trying to open the window, but it's difficult. Someone offers to help you and says: ''Can I give you a __?''
- If you give someone a hand, you help them.
5. The train is quite full, but you can see an empty seat next to a person. You ask the person, ''Is this seat __?''
- You can ask ''Is this seat free?'' or ''Is there anybody sitting here?''
6. Your friend sneezes, You say: ''__ you!''
- When someone sneezes, we often say ''Bless you!''
7. You want to pay for a newspaper with a £20 note. The sales assistant asks you: ''Have you got anything __?''
- ''Have you got anything smaller?'' = ''Do you have a note (or coins) of less value?
8. A friend has got an exam today. You say to your friend: ''__ luck!''
- You can say ''Good luck!'' before someone does something which is difficult. (Exams, interviews, etc.)
9. Your friend answers, ''Thanks! I'll __ it.''
- (Maybe your friend hasn't studied very much!)
10. You want to see a friend at the weekend. You ask: ''Do you __ doing anything at the weekend?''
- We often ask ''Do you fancy...'' to mean ''Do you want to...'' (Remember: the verb ''fancy'' is followed by a noun or a gerund - the ''ing'' form.)
14 commentsZarine Shaikh
Your words are helpful for me...thnk ew
thank you so much!
That very good idea to learn english.
I enjoy it,it is best english
I like this way very much to improve English.
thank you for this
Get a FREE English Short Story!
Like to learn English? Join 19,600+ people who read our newsletter and get more help with:
We won't share your email address and you can unsubscribe any time.